HUNGARY - World Of Potential
Anthem: "God, bless the Hungarians" - "Isten áldd meg a magyart"
Area: 93,030 km2
Population: 9 979 000
Official Language: Hungarian (Magyar)
Government: Parliamentary republic
Average temperatures: January -2˚C (28˚F), July 23˚C (73˚F)
Religion: Roman Catholic, Reformed (Calvinist) Protestant, Evangelical (Lutheran), Jewish
Time: Central European (GMT+1)
Membership: NATO (1999), European Union (2004)
Accession to the European Union: May 1, 2004
Did you know that...
- There are 44 letters in the Hungarian alphabet.
- Hungary is the 9th most successful country in the history of Olympic Games.
- Hungarian music education is world famous and you can learn to play an instrument or practice in afternoon music schools.
- Hungarians celebrate Namedays, a day of the year which is associated with one's given name. One more opportunity to get presents!
- Hungarians are know to be great inventors and researchers who invented and discovered such useful things you use in your daily life, like the ball-pint pen, vitamin-C, refrigerator, or the Excel.
- Joseph Pulitzer (Newspaper editor and publisher. In his time he was one of the most powerful journalists in the United States. Henry Houdini (Magician, escapologist, illusionist, stunt performer, actor) and William Fox (Pioneering motion picture executive, original founder of 20th Century Fox) were all Hungarian-born.